Hey There!
This is my 2nd post for my AP Gov class. Today we will look at a few interest groups that surround a particular subject. Today's subject is Healthcare.
First, before I dive deep into the other interest groups, I want to state my opinion on the topic, and address my bias. I definitely lean left on social issues, especially this one. I believe that universal healthcare is a must if we are to call ourselves a developed nation. Everyone needs equal access to maintaining their health. I know it's possible; I've lived in countries with universal healthcare. The fact that we don't have universal healthcare puts us behind the curve of developed nations. Once again this is my opinion, and I'd love to hear anyone who has any counter arguments!, I promise that if you are professional, and have developed-coherent arguments, I'll think about changing my personal opinion.
Liberal Source 1 :
Liberal Source 2 :
The first opinion that I want to talk about is from a left wing source. I'm fully aware that I'm inherently biased towards this group, but I'll try my best to be objective. The sources I've chose are protecthealthcare.org and familiesusa.org. The main points are :
- The Affordable Care act is vital to the long term health of our nation. We need to keep ourselves covered
- The Affordable Care act gives many supports to those in need to ensure that they get the healthcare they need.
- Both sources want to see the quality of healthcare given to Americans to get better.
- It's a necessary cost in government to ensure that American lives are as healthy as possible.
The seccond opinion I would like to discuss is from a right wing source. The sources I've chose are freedomworks and amreicansforprosperity.
The Affordable Care act, and any supporting acts are a threat to lowering taxes, as the programs are costly.
- Any threat to increase taxes is a threat to increase government regulation and lower economic prosperity.
- Healthcare is an exchange of goods and services, and thus should be as unregulated as possible.
- In order to cut healthcare costs, we need to economy to fight it out, we cannot lower prices on morality alone.
- Government lacks the infrastructure to implement a proper healthcare system.
It's two drastically different opinions, and it's a very touchy subject because of the clash of values. The left tends to value pushing changes for social good, believing it's the best way help the country. In contrast, the right places a value on deregulation and marketplace environments, to ensure that there are no limitations on the economies success. It's like comparing apples to oranges. It's very different to share ground on the topic. It's very difficult to tackle this issue without discussing personal values.
Anyways, thanks so much for looking at my latest blog post. I hope you find it interesting. Any comments or conerns please right them down. What did I miss?(probably a lot) What did I do well? I'll appreciate any constructive feedback!
How you think the the two sides can come to a compromise?
ReplyDeleteIt's a difficult topic to find compromise on. Mainly because the advocates for both sides are typically incapable of finding common ground with each other :( Some members of the right also want to deprive funding for birth control. Possibly If we can continue to offer effective birth control, allowing abortion to be a states right issue.
DeleteSo far which side appears to have been more successful? How were they more successful?
ReplyDeleteIt depends on how you find success. I believe that Democrats have had more success in implementing their policies in our government(however that might change under our current administration). But the question of morality is one that we still have to settle, and currently middle ground is very hard to find.
ReplyDelete